Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reese's heart murmur...that almost gave Mommy a heart attack.

We found out that Reese had a heart murmur a few weeks ago. I don't know when I've ever been so scared of 2 words: heart murmur. It just sounds doomed. We were fortunate enough to take her into Primary Childrens Hospital (aka the best place in the world) to see a Pediatric Cardiologist. When the cardiologist came in and listened to her heart, she kept listening...and listening...and listening. She said that some things sounded a little out of the ordinary and that they wanted to do an Echocariogram. My stomach dropped into the floor and I started bawling. The cardiologist assured me that she thought everything was fine, but just to make sure, let's do the EKG. She also told me that she's never made anyone cry by telling them that. Glad I could be the first. The EKG (which is just an ultrasound) took about 40 minutes and Reese was an absolute peach. The ultrasound tech said they have to sedate some patients because they aren't able to be controlled. Sooo glad Reese was cooperative. Once they got the reading back the cardiologist came in and said that everything looked perfect. There was no need for follow-up appointments and that her murmur would eventually be outgrown. The word relief dosen't even touch what I felt. The whole experience just made me grateful. For so many things. For having such an amazing hospital less than an hour away, for having proper medical insurance and the ability to give our daughter the best care possible, for healthy children, for a loving and supportive family, for having the priesthood in our home. For all these things, it warms my heart.
During her EKG
Being an adorable patient.

4 comments:

Heather said...

So happy her little heart is ok. Gave aunt Heathie a scare over in SF! I think I scared people at work when I started crying in the office. :)

Lacey Sue said...

Oh.My.Word!!! So glad she is okay!!! Heart murmers run pretty heavily in my family, and there are a number of us with them (not me phew) they can be pretty scary to deal with or learn about! Very glad she'll outgrow it- and that she is healthy!!! Your such a wonderfully mommy!

sheri said...

I know it was the many prayers that her sissies said while she was going to SLC to PCMC! I cried tears of joy, too! (After I cried tears of scaredy-cat-ness)!

Rachel said...

I've been there. We had many hospital visits for a year until Ethan was 1 and, all of a sudden, the murmur was gone. We count that as one of our little 'Mouritsen miracles.' So glad you had one, too! :)