Monday, August 24, 2009

Camping...ugh...







Everyone who knows me knows I hate camping. The bugs. The dirt. Going to the bathroom outside. I just basically hate being outside. Everyone who knows Kell knows he LOVES camping. The fishing. The wildlife. Building fires. He basically just loves being outdoors. He begged me to go camping this year. I begged him to stay in a hotel. Well, we compromised. We went up to Fairview and stayed at his Aunts cabin with all the Mondragons. Good news: It had indoor plumming, we didn't have to sleep in a tent, we were able to cook all our meals indoors and we were there with family. Bad news: We were still camping. The girls got FILTHY and we all know how much I hate when my babies are dirty, there were squirrels running on the roof half the night so I didn't sleep well at all, and everything we own now smells like campfire. I would have made a TERRIBLE pioneer. I've jokingly said that if I were a pioneer I would have died 3/4 of a mile into the trek. I truly believe that would've been the case. So, our first family camping trip (well, almost. Tay stayed with Grandma and Papa. I am sooo glad she stayed home. I missed her, but I was already a basket case trying to keep tabs on both girls the entire time!) was a success. We're all still alive arent we?

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm with you, Hill! I HATE camping...the good news is that Carl does, too. We decided we didn't want to influence our kids TOO MUCH just in case it was something they would like. We decided to buy a tent and have sleepovers in the backyard...bathroom and kitchen just a few feet away! :)

Rachel said...

Glad to hear you guys made it out in one piece!

Alison said...

Couldn't agree more about camping -- no plumbing, no fountain DP, no Tempurpedic, no thanks! :)

I'm glad you survived!

Anonymous said...

AMEN--camping is too much work to call it a vacation:) Hotels are the only way to go!!

RyAnn Thompson said...

Camping is fun! But, I don't have kids....I could see how potty training wouldn't work. Glad you has somewhat a good time? :-)

Rachel Holste said...

Oh I totally relate.... Shawn loves to camp too.... Ugh is right..... I feel your pain!:)

The Vaughn Family said...

I'm OK with camping, however I am not OK with the hole in the ground toilets. I always freak out a little bit at the thought of sitting on that seemingly endless black hole. Anything or anyone could be down there. EWWWWW.

Lacey Sue said...

Hi ya Hill!! Hope you don't mind me, I found your blog and just had to stop by for a visit. I am sorry -- but I am with Kelly on this one. I LOVE camping, love playing in the dirt and just being "out doors for a bit." The odd thing...Chad..HATES it...hehehe ;) Guess you just can't win either way!!! :)